My Recyling Promise:
Mariah Saves Gorillas ensures the safe recycling of all cell phones and electronics by partnering with Eco-Cell- a company committed to STRICT No-Landfill Recycling practices. Eco-cell always puts the environment first and makes giving back to the community its highest mission. Eco-cell promises to donate up to $50 per cell phone, for which 100% of proceeds from my recycling efforts is donated to the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund International.
Important Points to Ponder:
Did you Know?
- When not recycled properly, cell phones and other electronics contain toxic chemicals that are harmful to the environment and cause pollution that makes people and animals sick.
- 130 MILLION cell phones are thrown away each year- not recycled- leading to 14 MILLION TONS of E-Waste dumped into landfills around the world.
- Almost all electronics (not just cell phones & laptops) use a metallic ore called “Coltan” (Columbite-tantalite) found in the greatest supply in Central Africa, specifically in the habit where the Eastern Lowland Gorillas live if the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Coltan is being illegally mined in the Congo and is wiping out the natural habitat and causing the deaths of African gorilla populations.
- 80% of the world's gorilla live in Central Africa, where illegal Coltan mining is occurring.
According to a 2010 Gorilla Census:
- There are less than 300 Eastern Mountain Gorillas left in the wild, and they are now on the critically endangered species list.
- There are only 783 Mountain Gorillas left in the wild, and very few remain of the gorillas that Dian Fossey actually studied.